For our puzzle assignment Sejo and I teamed up and came up with the idea of making a “PuzzleSphere”. The concept is to create several puzzle pieces shaped into different interlocking styles and then have each one of them connect to their corresponding puzzle piece/pieces, while all of the assembly will take place inside a sphere. The correct order in which the pieces will interlock to one another is essential.
We tried to prototype early with some cardboard and see how the pieces will behave to one another, while also test different ways of interlocking.
Some of the pieces and their shapes we used are seen below:
We then tried to assemble each puzzle piece to their corresponding piece/pieces:
The rough idea of what we want to create can be seen by the 3D model created on Rhino. It doesn’t reflect the actual puzzles pieces seen here yet but its our first approach to developing the PuzzleSphere.
How the Pieces (Wood-Lasercut) and Sphere (3D Printed) came out + assembly + end result: